Saturday, May 8, 2010

Well, that's weird....

Ok, Ok...I have not been the best blogger lately. But in my defense I did start back to work this week. Granted I'm only part time, but still...it was just another thing to do on my endless list of to do's. But work is not what I want to talk about. Of course I will give an update on the kids, but first let's get to the weirdness.

So I'm done nursing. Judge me if you want, but unless you are a mom of twins with an older child and are successfully nursing and think it's nothing but blissful (*you're a superstar), then I say hold your judgment for someone else. Breastfeeding is hard. Nobody tells you how hard it is. And everyone is all "it gets really easy by the third or fourth month". But when you are struggling, the third or fourth month feels like an eternity away. I would love to say that I gave it up because it was painful (it wasn't) or that my girls were having digestive issues (they weren't). No, the fact of the matter is Briar decided she was done - she just wouldn't latch. And it was so time consuming to nurse one baby, bottle feed the other and then pump that I was starting to feel like all I did was feed the babies. I was becoming an unhappy mama. So we weaned Emma to a bottle. But Emma and I hung on to the middle of the night feeding for a little while longer.

-K, so here's the weird thing...I went through the couple days of engorgement and uncomfortableness to dry my milk up. I considered myself dry. A couple weeks have gone by, still dry. But then the other day I was holding one of the girls and I felt that "let down" feeling. I thought I must be mistaken. But the next day, when I was in the shower, I looked down and saw milk literally squirting all over the place. Huh. Well, that's weird. Since then I've been having a little leakage. What the heck? I thought I was all done with this milk business, but apparently my body thinks a little differently.

Anywho, that's all there is about that. So an update on the kiddos...

Connor's doing great, but he's developed a case of the sassy mouth. I mean seriously sassy. I'm sure this is the universe's way of paying me back for the sassy mouth I had as a kid, but I am not enjoying this new little attitude. The sad thing is, he's sweet as pie 98% of the time, but that other 2 %? Ahhhhhh.

The other day I told him if he was going to throw a fit he would need to go to his room and do it there. To which he replied, "You should go somewhere else because your mad and crabby!"
I will pause here for you to pick up your jaw from the floor (and, if you're like my mom when I told her this, to stop laughing)

*Pause*

-K, so I didn't know what to do. I just kind of stared at him. I mean, I know I should have instantly got on to him about the sass, but I was a little in shock that my sweet little guy just back-talked me, and I swear to pete that at that moment, I almost wanted to laugh a little.

Alrighty, so the girls are doing great. They are still very much opposites. Our little Emma is quite the Diva, and Briar is easy going. Brair is a babbler. She loves to talk and talk. Emma? Not really a blah, blaher, but she will give you the world's best smiles, complete with dimples.

They are finally starting to nap somewhere other than my arms (hallelujah). They still aren't the greatest nappers, but we're getting there. I decided to separate them for naps. Briar is in my room and Emma is in hers. This seems to be helping. They are still sleeping together at night. They go down great and generally sleep for about 5 to 5 1/2 hours (sometimes more). But if one wakes up in the wee hours of the morning (like around 4am) then the other wakes up to. We find this incredibly frustrating because every twin book we've read said that one twin won't wake up the other twin...that they are used to eachother and can ignore the other's crying. Well, that's a bunch of crap. Or our twins must be the exception to the rule. Because if one's crying the other one chimes in...almost always. It's like they will cry without knowing why they are crying. "Oh, my sister is crying? Well, something MUST be wrong, so I better help her get mom's attention by crying even louder. Heck, maybe I will throw in a screech 'cause I know that really gets mom's attention".
Maybe over time they will learn to ignore each other, but I'm not banking on it.

We are really into a good routine, and things are finally feeling a little (dare I say it) easier.

I'm sure I will have more to share sooner rather than later, and now that they are taking naps, I will be back blogging on a more regular basis.

Till next time....

1 comment:

  1. Kudos for making it as long as you did nursing. It IS hard! No one tells you how hard it really is!

    The boys never woke each other up while sleeping. It was amazing. And awesome. The girls, not so much. They must be the exception too. They wake each other up every single time. Not joking. So...I feel you.

    Hope you blog more! You'll look back and laugh...in a few years! ;)

    ReplyDelete